According to Igor Panarin, the US is going to disintegrate by June 2010, breaking into six portions under the control of various other world powers.
A polite and cheerful man with a buzz cut, Mr. Panarin insists he does not dislike Americans. But he warns that the outlook for them is dire.
"There's a 55-45% chance right now that disintegration will occur," he says. "One could rejoice in that process," he adds, poker-faced. "But if we're talking reasonably, it's not the best scenario -- for Russia." Though Russia would become more powerful on the global stage, he says, its economy would suffer because it currently depends heavily on the dollar and on trade with the U.S.
Mr. Panarin posits, in brief, that mass immigration, economic decline, and moral degradation will trigger a civil war next fall and the collapse of the dollar. Around the end of June 2010, or early July, he says, the U.S. will break into six pieces -- with Alaska reverting to Russian control.
This is hilarious of course, for lots of reasons. Numbers one and two being that Canada would gain control over the Midwest and Mexico the Southeast. I love Canadians, really. And I know that out of all of the US regions, Midwesterners are probably the most mild mannered. However, I have a hard time envisioning Canada taking part of any takeover, hostile or otherwise. Unless it was a takeover of a Tim Horton's. Or perhaps a hockey riot. But even that one I'd be surprised to see....
- California Republic: Formed by the Western states, this area would be controlled by China or be under Chinese influence
- Texas Republic: A cluster of states in the Southwest would go to Mexico.
- Atlantic America: Eastern states, from South Carolina to Maine, will join the European Union.
- Central North American Republic: Northern Midwest and Great Plain states will go to Canada.
- Hawaii: The state will become a territory of China or Japan.
- Alaska: Putin will rear his head into Alaskan air space, making Russia the proud new owner of the great state of Alaska.
This is mainly a comical post. However, this last piece of info. is a bit of a buzzkill...
The professor says he's convinced that people are taking his theory more seriously. People like him have forecast similar cataclysms before, he says, and been right. He cites French political scientist Emmanuel Todd. Mr. Todd is famous for having rightly forecast the demise of the Soviet Union -- 15 years beforehand. "When he forecast the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1976, people laughed at him," says Prof. Panarin.